WELCOME!

Welcome to Clarineticus Intergalacticus!

Saturday, April 2, 2011

What I'm listening to today, not the clarinet.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to coach a chamber group from Central Connecticut State University with a couple of my friends from the West Point Band. The group was great to work with; they were well prepared and really eager to try new things and interact with us. We talked about phrasing so much, and it reminded me of a video I have probably watched a hundred times. (Make it through the interview, it's worth it!)





Itzhak Perlman is the man, and tangos are so exciting.


Anyway, we all know that. The reason I thought of this video is because the group we coached yesterday played only arrangements of vocal pieces. So here is a vocal version of Por Una Cabeza... wondering about the horses? Por Una Cabeza is sung by a man who is comparing his addiction to betting on horses with his attraction to women.






To me, it is very clear how vocally Perlman interpreted this piece. Also, I am struck by how matter-of-fact he seems when playing it. I'm not going to make any elaborate comparisons, just sharing.  Enjoy, and keep listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment